does vacuum reclaim unused space from an index ???

From: "g(dot)p(dot)ciceri" <gp(dot)ciceri(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: does vacuum reclaim unused space from an index ???
Date: 2000-06-04 16:32:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
I've a small table (3000 rows) that it's UPDATEd very frequently.

create table myTable(theKey char(6) primary key, theMsg varchar(256));

Of course pgSQL does create an index on theKey, to give
me referential integrity: it seems to me that when I do
a vacuum to reclaim unused space and to speed-up the
usage of the table, the index file size is unchanged,
and so it's getting slower the update process.

Anyone may confirm me this is the default behaviour ???

TIA
/gp

--
Discussion: How do you feel about Open Source firms making
millions through public offerings?

"I wish these companies were making the same millions without
distributing any non-free, user-subjugating software." --
Richard Stallman

Gian Paolo Ciceri Via B.Diotti 45 - 20153 Milano MI ITALY
eMail : gp(dot)ciceri(at)acm(dot)org
webSite: http://www.tialabs.com