Re: Splitting libpq build

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Splitting libpq build
Date: 2021-10-03 20:35:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Having said that, it does work on non-Windows machines to do
>> ./configure ...
>> cd src/interfaces/libpq
>> make -s install

> Well, asking people to download the whole source tree just to build
> client library 1000 times and then 1000 times delete the source code...

Uh ... why are you installing from source at all, if that's your
use-case? Most major distributions provide packages that subdivide
Postgres into client and server packages, and usually there's even
a package with just the library(s).

> So instead of simplifying the life of maintainers in the different distros
> you made the life easier for yourself. ;;-)

Well, yeah. Packaging is a different business. And, having *been*
a packager for Red Hat for a decade, it's not like I've never heard
of it. But I don't see anything we need to do differently there.