Re: What seed does random() use if setseed() is not called first?

From: Carl Sopchak <carl(at)sopchak(dot)me>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What seed does random() use if setseed() is not called first?
Date: 2022-07-23 22:09:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

If it is, somewhere, it's not on the Mathematical Functions page where random() and setseed() are documented.

Thanks again...

Carl

On 7/23/22 18:06, Tom Lane wrote:

Carl Sopchak <carl(at)sopchak(dot)me> writes:

if the documentation stated something to the effect of "While it's
platform-dependent, if setseed() is not called, the random number
generator is generally seeded by whatever method the operating
system provides as a source of randomness, such as /dev/urandom on
Linux/Unix, or &lt;???&gt; on Windows."</p>

Hmm, I thought this already was documented, but it looks like not.
I'll see what I can do.