Temporary Files

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Temporary Files
Date: 2021-03-29 18:10:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

PostgreSQL 12
I just increased my work_mem to 24 MB. I cleared my statistics. I then went back later and saw the following:

Temporary files: 21
Size of temporary files 451 MB.

If you divide 451 by 21 you get 21.4 . I would have expected to see an average size greater than 24 MB. This implies to me that PostgreSQL is creating temp files that are smaller than 24 MB.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks,

LANCE CAMPBELL<https://directory.illinois.edu/person/lance>
Software Architect

Web Services<https://webtools.illinois.edu/>
Public Affairs<https://publicaffairs.illinois.edu/>
Contact the Webtools Team<https://go.illinois.edu/contactUs>
217.333.0382
lance(at)illinois(dot)edu<mailto:lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>

[/var/folders/wp/1f6l7hw95y718z976kgnl5f9kr5rtc/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/signature_logo.png]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.