Re: [HACKERS] create database doesn't work well in MULTIBYTE mode

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] create database doesn't work well in MULTIBYTE mode
Date: 2000-02-17 15:11:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> $6 is already converted from string to ival in another place.
> It seems to me that this change is unnecessary.
> I don't understand why this was changed recently.

At the moment, if the code is compiled without MULTIBYTE enabled, it
will silently ignore any "ENCODING=" clause in a CREATE DATABASE
statement.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to throw an elog(ERROR) in this case
(or perhaps an elog(WARN))? I've got the code ready to add in.
Comments?

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California