[Fwd: [GENERAL] RE: postgresql newsgroups]

From: Gabriel Fernandez <gabi(at)unica(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: [Fwd: [GENERAL] RE: postgresql newsgroups]
Date: 2000-02-17 11:22:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Nemeth Miklos wrote:
> > > And if this isn't too inflamatory a question, where does postgresql stand
> > > in comparison to MySql and DB2? (both of which aren't free I believe).
> > >
> > MySQL does NOT support transaction, which is indispensable for a real
> > DBMS used as the primary data storage system for reliable/consistent
> > business transactions.
> > However, MySQL is the fastest RDBMS ever seen, and perfect for data
> > warehouses and DSS and EIS purposes, as well as for
> > query databases for web sites.
>
> MySQL is pretty free - you just canno redistribute it with commercial
> applications.
>
> MySQL is FAST! (MySQL is fast only on very simple SELECTs, but it is
> more than enough for most Web projetcs.)
>
> MySQL has very good fine-grained access control; you can GRANT almost
> whatever you want to whomever (and REVOKE too) on a very selective basis:
> GRANT select,insert ON my_data.table1 TO user1;
> GRANT select,insert,update ON my_data.table2 TO user2;
> GRANT alter,delete ON my_data.* TO user3;
>
> MySQL has very good ALTER TABLE command.
>
> MySQL has good support for Large Objects. I have a habit to store
> and manipulate Web-images right in database using SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE.
>
> Oleg.
> ----
> Oleg Broytmann http://members.xoom.com/phd2/ phd2(at)earthling(dot)net
> Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
>
> ************

I would also add MySQL doesn't have some features PostgreSQL have, as:
- Some SQL features: subselects, any, exists, etc.
- triggers and rules
- herency
- Better skills in functions (including aggregate functions ) programming.
- Sequences

Anyway, if you don't need these features I can say I have been using it during 8
months and it is a very good RDBMS: fast and reliable (i mean it doesn't hang
never , but on the other hand you don't have transactional control and locking
tables capabilities).

I hope this can help when making a decission.

Gabi :-)