Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Patch attached...
Date: 2000-02-05 14:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> pghack=# set examine_subclass to 'off';
> > I think something like DONT_SELECT_INHERITED or
> > OLD_INHERITED_SELECT_SYNTAX
> > would be much clearer in meaning.
> I'm happy to hear alternative names, but I don't really want "SELECT" in
> the name, because this might apply to UPDATE eventually too.

Hmm. This uncovers our clunky SET syntax. imho this should be a clean
and natural option, not something with a bunch of underscores in the
keyword and a quoted string for the option.

But this is awfully close to beta to be even considering making this
change in default behavior and syntax for 7.0. We've got a lot of
other features to babysit through beta, and this one wasn't even on
the radar until a few days ago...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California