jdbc bug

From: Tim Holloway <mtsinc(at)southeast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: jdbc bug
Date: 2000-02-02 00:39:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Postgresql v6.5.2 - postgresql.jar

The ResultSet metadata function getColumnDisplaySize() is returning the number of characters in the column's name.

I don't THINK SO.....

1. The JavaDocs say it's supposed to be the "the column's normal max width in chars". I take this as the DATA width, not
the name width. After all:

2. It REALLY screws up Symantec's wizard-generated code when a column named "foo" is loaded with a 25-character street
address. An uncaught exception is thrown saying the column is only 3 characters wide.

3. If I actually wanted to know that, I could just use the length function on the getColumnName() string.