Re: [HACKERS] TODO list updated

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] TODO list updated
Date: 2000-01-13 19:47:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > * Make postgres user have a password by default

> > There's an initdb switch.

> OK, now we have to decide if we are going to require this be done as
> part of initdb. I am inclined to say the user _has_ to be _prompted_ in
> a secure matter for the password as part of initdb. Have a command-line
> switch for the password is not secure, IMHO, though it is better than
> nothing.

> Let's get people's opinions on this, and we can mark it as done.

As a packager, and a user, I would like the _option_ of setting a
default password using a --prompt-for-password switch.

By all means don't make it default to prompting for a password -- there
are those who do not need a password on the database superuser account,
due to other security measures and connection models (IE, backing a
webserver that is handling authentication and pooling connections under
a single (nonprivileged) user).

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio