Re: [GENERAL] How do you live without OUTER joins?

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Sarah Officer <officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Bantos <anon(at)mgfairfax(dot)rr(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How do you live without OUTER joins?
Date: 2000-01-13 09:11:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Sarah Officer wrote:

> How about using a union?
>
> select cc.com_cat_long, co.company_name
> from company_category cc, company co
> where cc.com_cat_abbr = co.com_cat_abbr
> union
> select 'unknown' as com_cat_long, company_name
> from company
> where com_cat_abbr is null;

Yes, would be the best way to go. Unfortunately I need one of this outer
joins in a VIEW, and seems to me that a VIEW cannot be created with a
UNION.

Therefore, for one of our projects we had to setup an intermediate table
kept consistent using a number of triggers. Having outer joins or UNION
in VIEWs would definitively be a much better way!

--
Alessio F. Bragadini alessio(at)albourne(dot)com
APL Financial Services http://www.sevenseas.org/~alessio

"It is more complicated than you think"
-- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925