Re: [HACKERS] "ExecInitIndexScan: both left and right..." meaning?

From: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] "ExecInitIndexScan: both left and right..." meaning?
Date: 1999-12-19 22:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ed Loehr wrote:

> Are there any known consequences of forbidding nestloop joins? Performance
> hits? Functionality hits?

OK, I pulled out my old RDBMS text. Here are my current assumptions re join
strategies:

1) The only Pgsql alternative join strategies to nested-loop joins are merge
join and hash join.

2) Merge join only makes sense if the data is physically ordered by the join
keys, and there is almost always a natural entropy away from physical sort
order.

Therefore, it generally makes sense to use only hash join.

Are my assumptions correct? Reasonable conclusion?

Can I configure psql to use only hash joins?

Cheers,
Ed Loehr