Czech2ASCII with --mb=Latin2

From: Robert <robert(at)robert(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Czech2ASCII with --mb=Latin2
Date: 1999-12-15 18:21:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a database in Latin2 encoding (Czech stuff) and Latin2/Win1250
on-the-fly recoding with 'set client_encoding' works smoothly. Now, when
I set client encoding to SQL_ASCII, accented characters are converted to
(hexa) codes. Is there any (simple) way to make this recoding convert
accented characters to just the chars themselves but without accents?
Thanks in advance.

- Robert

P.S. Moreover, the non-Czech speakers tend to search the database with
words without accents, it would be usefull to make this conversion works
in the other direction: name LIKE 'ceske%' would return also names
starting with accented version.

P.S.2 I could do this quite easily in Perl on the application level, but
don't want to start programming before I'm sure there's no standard
postgres solution.