Re: [GENERAL] get the previous assigned sequence value

From: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Dev Elop <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] get the previous assigned sequence value
Date: 1999-12-09 17:57:32
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ross J. Reedstrom" wrote:

> Gah, this is getting a bit annoying, correcting this bit of
> mis-information.
>
> currval() is kept as part of the session context, as is completely
> multi-user safe. That's why the person you quoted said 'in the same
> session'.
>
> Where is everyone coming up with the wrong idea on this? Is there a
> major commercial DB with sequence objects that gets this wrong?

I think it is primarily because (a) it is intuitive to think there is a race
condition, which fortunately psgql folks have gone to significant efforts to
avoid, and (b) the documentation at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-createsequence.htm

is less than concise/clear on this issue.

Same thing is true for the question of how to retrieve the newly-inserted
serial, which is why people keep asking the same question over and over (that,
and because people don't know about www.deja.com or the mailing list search
engine...or the engine is broken).

Cheers.
Ed