Problems with postgres V6.5.3 large objects

From: Charles Randle <caspanis(at)cybervale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems with postgres V6.5.3 large objects
Date: 1999-12-05 20:37:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to postgres amd I'm attempting to use large objects
to store and play-back messages directly from the database . I have a
number of problems/questions/issues :

1) Whenever I try to open more than one large object within my class
(I'm using C++) The following message appears in the postgres backend
log-file & the application terminates .

"query: SELECT message_data FROM receptormessages WHERE message_name =
'wait_mess
age_one'
ProcessQuery
CommitTransactionCommand
StartTransactionCommand
ERROR: update_fp_info: cache lookup for function 1 failed
AbortCurrentTransaction
FATAL 1: Socket command type
proc_exit(0) [#0]"

Note 1) - Note that the Oids for the large objects are stored in a
table called 'receptormessages'
2) - The transaction necessary for the access to the large
objects begins in the constructor of
the class and terminates of the object is ever
destroyed (in the destructor).

2) I am thinking of using the libpq++ interface to access the large
objects , However from what I've seen each instance of the class would
create a new connection to the backend , from the same process !
a) How expensive is this multiple connection option given that
many large objects may be in use
at any one time ?
b) If this option is expensive , is there any way to access many
large objects and only have
one connection to the database with the C++ interface to
these objects ?

Regards,
Charles Randle.