Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?
Date: 2005-07-26 14:26:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:02, Tom Lane wrote:
>> pg_dump believes it can dump from any server back to 7.0; if it can't,
>> that's a bug, and details would be appreciated.

> I thought the backwards dumping compatibility thing was fairly new (i.e.
> it showed up around 7.3 or 7.4) and before that, if you used, say
> pg_dump from 7.1 to try and dump from 6.5 you'd get errors.

That was true back in the 6.x days, but starting in 7.1 we had code in
pg_dump to work with a 7.0 server, and we've kept up that policy.

Perhaps you are thinking of pg_dumpall specifically? That was a shell
script until 7.3, and before it was converted to C I don't think it had
much of any cross-version adaptability.