Re: Re: Server tries to read a different config file than it is supposed to

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: twoflower <standa(dot)kurik(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Server tries to read a different config file than it is supposed to
Date: 2015-05-23 21:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> So on my Ubuntu installs it does not set up the postgres user to allow login, so how are you getting to:
> su postgres -c ...

From root, presumably ...

I thought of a different theory: maybe the server's complaint is not due
to trying to read that file as a config file, but it's just because there
is an unreadable/unwritable file in the data directory. See Christoph
Berg's complaint at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150523172627.GA24277@msg.df7cb.de

This would only apply if the OP was trying to use this week's releases
though. Also, I thought the fsync-everything code would only run if
the server had been shut down uncleanly. Which maybe it was, but that
bit of info wasn't provided either.