Re: Changing the state of data checksums in a running cluster

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing the state of data checksums in a running cluster
Date: 2024-09-30 21:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 3 Jul 2024, at 13:20, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks for rebasing the patch and submitting it again!

Thanks for review, sorry for being so slow to pick this up again.

The attached version is a rebase with some level of cleanup and polish all
around, and most importantly it adresses the two points raised below.

>> * Immediate checkpoints - the code is currently using CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE in
>> order to be able to run the tests in a timely manner on it. This is overly
>> aggressive and dialling it back while still being able to run fast tests is a
>> TODO. Not sure what the best option is there.
>
> Why not to add a parameter to pg_enable_data_checksums(), specifying
> whether to do immediate checkpoint or wait for the next one? AFAIK
> that's what we do in pg_backup_start, for example.

That's a good idea, pg_enable_data_checksums now accepts a third parameter
"fast" (defaults to false) which will enable immediate checkpoints when true.

>> * Monitoring - an insightful off-list reviewer asked how the current progress
>> of the operation is monitored. So far I've been using pg_stat_activity but I
>> don't disagree that it's not a very sharp tool for this. Maybe we need a
>> specific function or view or something? There clearly needs to be a way for a
>> user to query state and progress of a transition.
>
> Yeah, I think a view like pg_stat_progress_checksums would work.

Added in the attached version. It probably needs some polish (the docs for
sure do) but it's at least a start.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Support-checksum-enable-disable-in-a-running-clus.patch application/octet-stream 135.0 KB