The enormous s->childXids problem

From: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
Subject: The enormous s->childXids problem
Date: 2006-09-16 03:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've tracked the problem I mentioned earlier with my 4.5 million node
linked list of s->childXids down. We use plperl to connect to Oracle
over DBI. The select function is dbi-link's remote_select.
remote_select will perform the query and then for each row
return_next which calls the SPI.xs stuff to do plperl_return_next
which is wrapped in a PG_TRY block. I see the value of the try block
to kick back sensible errors to perl, but creating childXids for
every row of a setof seems wildly excessive. What's the harm in
simply not TRY'ing around there?

I ask with respect to the suitability as general solution and as the
suitability for my acute issue (of a 5 million row setof returned
from that). Will it break anything?

Best regards,
Theo

// Theo Schlossnagle