Re: [SQL] NULL

From: jose soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
To: Bruce Stephens <bruce(at)cenderis(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] NULL
Date: 1999-11-16 13:37:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bruce Stephens ha scritto:

> Goran Thyni <goran(at)kirra(dot)net> writes:
>
> > How about this according to SQL standard:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE x { y integer NULL };
> >
> > It suppose to mean that NULLs are explicitly allowed in
> > this field.
> > Is this required by SQL-92?
>
> No, it's not required. This came up before with the examples from
> "The Practical SQL Handbook". It would be nice to allow it, but there
> was some reason why to do so would be non-trivial, which I forget.
> Anyway, it's not in SQL-92.

Sorry, I don't understand why we need this feature. This is completely out
of standard.

What's that mean ?

- Is it a constraint to allow only NULL values ? (unuseful)

- If this is a default value we already have this in:
CREATE TABLE table1 (field1 int DEFAULT NULL);

- According with SQL-92 every column can store a NULL value by default
unless one specify a NOT NULL constraint for the column.

José