Is this a bug?

From: "Imtiaz(dot) S(dot) M" <imtiaz_sm(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is this a bug?
Date: 1999-11-09 05:43:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have the following table named 'emp_test' whose structure is as
follows

Table = emp_test
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| Field | Type |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

| employee_num | char() | 10 |
| salary | int4
| 4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+

The table contains the following records;

employee_num|salary
------------+------
100 | 1000
200 | 2000
300 | 3000
400 | 4000
500 | 5000
100 | 1111
200 | 2222
300 | 3333
400 | 4444
500 | 5555
(10 rows)

Now I create a view with the following SQL statement.

create view emp_view as select employee_num,sum(salary) from emp_test
group by employee_num;

Then I give the following query on the view.

select * from emp_view
for which the output is as follows.

employee_num| sum
------------+-----
100 | 2111
200 | 4222
300 | 6333
400 | 8444
500 |10555
(5 rows)

This is perfectly right

Now I give the following query

select count(*) from emp_view
and the output is as follows

count
-----
2
2
2
2
2
(5 rows)

This is what does not make sense to me because I am expecting the no. of
rows to be returned

I need to issue these kind of queries because I would like to find out
the number or percentage of people earning a salary
in a particular range and etc.
I have solved the problem by creating temporary tables instead of views
where these kind of queries work perfectly fine.
But this does not seem to be a good idea since I have to port my
software to different RDBMSs' later.

Can somebody help me?
Thanks in advance

regards