Re: [HACKERS] Regression Testing on REL6_5_PATCHES

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Regression Testing on REL6_5_PATCHES
Date: 1999-11-04 16:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been around this project for a year and a half now, and we've
> heard complaints like this at each of the three DST transitions that
> I remember. (I sent in some alarmed reports myself, first time I
> saw it.) I've tried to interest Thomas in DST-proofing the regress
> tests, but he doesn't seem to think it's worth fixing.

Hmm. I'm probably pretty unimaginative, but when the test is

select datetime 'tomorrow' - datetime 'today';

it is pretty hard to make this "DST proof". The alternative was to not
test this case at all, which I definitely was *not* interested in.

Ideas? At least with the test as-is, I get nice fan mail twice a year
;)

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California