Re: [SQL] combining columns in select

From: Doug Thistlethwaite <doug(dot)t(at)deltanet(dot)com>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, jens(at)jens(dot)de
Subject: Re: [SQL] combining columns in select
Date: 1999-10-10 05:04:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

What I was trying to do is develop a java application using the ODBC and then
move it to postgres & a linux database when I had everything working.
Unfortunately, I have discovered that there are many differences in the
"standard SQL" that each driver uses.

I could not find any ODBC drivers that us local data that allow the "||"
concatenation symbol. Most of them use the "+" symbol. I have found the same
problem with "Memo" vs "text" fields as well. The ODBC driver for dbase (the
one which seems to work best in my case) also uses the # symbol for dates
while postgres likes the ' symbol.

I guess I have to live with this and write separate query statements for each
implementation.

Doug