Re: Request for replication advice

From: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Brad Nicholson" <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Chris Browne" <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for replication advice
Date: 2006-11-10 20:50:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/11/06, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info> wrote:
> > "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > So, my question for the list is: is Slony + log shipping the direction
> > > I should be investigating, or is there something else out that I ought
> > > to consider?
> >
> > Those are two different methods: you'd use one or the other, not both.
>
> Slony has its own log shipping, I think that was what he was referring
> to.

Indeed I was; sorry if my terminology caused confusion.

The reason I am looking at Slony with log shipping is that it can
operate across a one-way connection, whereas plain Slony requires
communication in both directions. A bi-directional connection would
negate the purpose of having two separate databases, which is to
protect the internal database (and the internal network as a whole)
from a compromised external system.

If we were willing to have a bi-directional connection, I don't see
any further disadvantage in allowing the external application(s) to
connect straight into our internal postgres database over the IPsec
tunnel, and ignoring the replication issue entirely.