Re: Backfill bgworker Extension?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Backfill bgworker Extension?
Date: 2017-12-16 14:31:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/15/17 23:50, Jeremy Finzel wrote:
> The common ground is some column in some table needs to be bulk updated.
> I may not be explaining well, but in our environment we have done
> hundreds of these using a generic framework to build a backfill. So I’m
> not sure what you are questioning about the need? We have had to build a
> worker to accomplish this because it can’t be done as a sql script alone.

I'm trying to identify the independently useful pieces in your use case.
A background worker to backfill large tables is a very specific use
case. If instead we had a job/scheduler mechanism and a way to have
server-side scripts that can control transactions, then that might
satisfy your requirements as well (I'm not sure), but it would also
potentially address many other uses.

In progress: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/16/1360/