Order of items in FROM causes error?

From: Rosser Schwarz <rosser(dot)schwarz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Order of items in FROM causes error?
Date: 2005-04-01 16:24:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

A colleague has the following query, which errors with: relation "dl"
does not exist. (See the second item in the FROM clause.) If that
item is moved to immediately precede the first JOIN item however, the
query works as expected.

select u.usersfirstname || ' ' || u.userslastname as userssupervisorsname
, l.locationsname || ' >> ' || lv.listvaluesname as locationdepartment
, lvcat.listvaluesname as usersemploymentcategory
, lvclass.listvaluesname as usersemploymentclass
, lvacdcat.listcategoriesname as usersacdcategory
from intranet.tbl_users u
, intranet.tbl_departmentslocations dl
, intranet.tbl_listvalues lvcat
, intranet.tbl_listvalues lvclass
, intranet.tbl_listcategories lvacdcat
join intranet.tbl_listvalues lv on dl.listvaluesid = lv.listvaluesid
join intranet.tbl_locations l on dl.locationsid = l.locationsid
where u.usersid = 199
and dl.listvaluesid = 13
and lvcat.listvaluesid = 23
and lvclass.listvaluesid = 27
and lvacdcat.listcategoriesid = 6

This strikes me as a bug. Is it known behavior? A quick search
doesn't turn up much, but that may be a weakness in my google-fu.

We're running 7.4.2. (Yes, I know; I'm about to start testing 8.0.2
on our new server.)

/rls

--
:wq