Re: [HACKERS] Re: Query about postgres medical database

From: renato barrios <renato(dot)barrios(at)online(dot)fr>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>, pg-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Broytman <phd(at)emerald(dot)netskate(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Query about postgres medical database
Date: 1999-09-12 10:56:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> On 10-Sep-99 Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >> I am physician and I am very interested by possibilities postgresql
> >> could offer to medical information management, specially in undeveloped
> >> countries.
> >> In the userguide you speake about a medical database and I would want to
> >> contact people responsable of this project.
> >
> > I believe that this example was from the days when Postgres was
> > developing at Berkeley. I know that there are more recent projects
> > (one of our contributors is an administrator at a hospital) and the
> > best way to find out about current projects is to post a question to a
> > mailing list.
> >
> > Does anyone have something going in the medical info area?
>
> I was the maintainer/developer of postgresql based project for
> City's Health department of St. Petersburg (RUSSIA),
> This project includes financial part (medical insurance reports) and
> numerouse statistical reports
> (sex/age/diagnozis corellation, loads of different clinics and so on)
>
> This project starts 1995 and it's succesfuly working now but without me ...
>
> ---
> Dmitry Samersoff, dms(at)wplus(dot)net, ICQ:3161705
> http://devnull.wplus.net
> * There will come soft rains ...

and >Oleg Broytman <phd(at)emerald(dot)netskate(dot)ru>
>Hello!

> I work for Russian National Research Surgery Centre (www.med.ru). I have
>a database of patient data on Novel server, and I am writing and debugging
>programs to store the data in Postgres. The dedicated host is oper.med.ru.
> But I do not see anything special about the data - for me it is just
>data that can be stored, searched and retrieved.

Hello!
Thank you for your messages, I am trying to organize a group in medical info
area.
It would be a very important database sub-group with postgresql ad open code
source.
I think data is specially interesting in this area. It is not only about
decisions to use integers or floats in the results of tests. It could be the
case to go and work with the definition of this types (Actually only simple
mathematical relations like grams by liter for tests, and so on ). I will not
write nothing about other areas where storing objects would be of interest (
medical imagery or treatement of biological signals... )

But finishing with science fiction, a medical database could be proposed like
an exemple of code source for the postgresql_doc mantainers, like in the case
of the V C++ GUI framework documentation by Bruce Wampler of the
ftp://www.objectcentral.com/wvrefman.121.tar.gz. and be of greate utility for
end users.
It would have a conceptualisation model ( I think like in the v case with
Coad-Yourdon notation ) and all the code of the database.
If it would be possible to start with the database, it would be easier to add
extensions adapted for users.
...and...and...
I am not...not... a hacker but I have a lot...lot... of information about the
medical subject.
Thanks,
Renato