Remote Authentication

From: "Sean W(dot) Ellis" <sean(dot)ellis(at)oscenter(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Question <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Remote Authentication
Date: 1999-09-06 16:37:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been using strictly TRUST access through hba up to now because
all my SQL boxes have been inside of firewalled systems. However, now I
need to allow access to a postgreSQL box that is on the Internet. This
box needs to grant access to two Linux boxes and one Windows computer
that have dynamic IP addresses.

I have been trying to work with the password system. I cannot
authenticate and don't see any log to find out what the problem is. I
copied the shadow file to a file called
/usr/local/pgsql/data/sqlpasswd. Then, I typed in pg_passwd and changed
one of the passwords for a user. Then, I changed my hba config to say
password sqlpasswd at the end, and could not auth. Then, I tried crypt
sqlpasswd, and still no luck. Is there something I need to do at
compile time, am I doing something wrong ?

The sql box is Slackware Linux 3.6 2.0.36, and I only did ./configure
--with-tcl --with-odbc --with-perl at compile time.

Any response appreciated,

Sean Ellis
sean(dot)ellis(at)oscenter(dot)com