Running out of memory...

From: "Kevin Holbrook" <kevin(at)templegames(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running out of memory...
Date: 1999-08-12 14:03:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I am using PostgreSQL version 6.5.1 on x86 Solaris 2.6.

Now, I have already tweaked my shared mem settings as was
recommended
on this thread in the past.

I am also starting the postmaster with a -N 128 -B 256 -i.

The problem is this, I am getting numerous "unexpected EOF from
client" messages, and the postmaster keeps spawning (albeit slowly)
until I hit the max number of processes, and I get the expected "too
many clients already".

Does anyone know why the postmaster would need to spawn so many
backends? Has anyone seen this problem or a similar one on their Solaris
box?

Thanks in advance,

-Kevin