Coverting mysql keys

From: "Zot O'Connor" <zot(at)ZotConsulting(dot)com>
To: postgres sql <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Coverting mysql keys
Date: 1999-07-24 19:02:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Excuse my complete ignorance of SQL.

I am converting a mysql DB to postgres.

Mysql defines keys in the Create table structure like:
create table ohead (
custid varchar(8),
key orderid (orderid),

To covert this to postgres I guess I need an index, which is done
externally to the create table?

:
create table ohead (
custid varchar(8),
orderid (orderid),

CREATE INDEX orderid(??use same name or _idx??) on ohead (orderid);

Again, I am clueless to SQL, how do I utilize the increase in speed?
Does it happen when I SELECT/JOIN things together? or do I reference the
index in my queries.

Thanks!

--
Zot O'Connor