Re: [SQL] Good Optimization

From: secret <secret(at)kearneydev(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Patrik Kudo <kudo(at)partitur(dot)se>, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Good Optimization
Date: 1999-07-19 14:15:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > IMHO we're improving optimization more and more on the cost
> > of query parse/rewrite/optimize/plan time. Thus performance
> > of statements that EXECUTE fast slows down more and more.
> > Isn't it time to think about some (maybe shared)
> > "parsetree->plan" cache that provides ready to use plans if
> > only Const values have changed?
>
> TODO list has:
>
> * Cache most recent query plan(s?)
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 853-3000
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Why not let the user select how much time he wants the DB to spend on
optimization? maybe an explicit "FAST SELECT ..." will skip the costly steps
for subsecond queries, or "OPTIMIZE SELECT" for the long(hour) queries that
really need a lot of help :)... Or even a SET OPTION= for turning it on/off?

--David