Re: XML -> PG ?

From: Christophe <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XML -> PG ?
Date: 2009-05-06 15:31:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 6, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:

> Is there a way to read an XML file into a postgres DB? I’m thinking
> that it will create and relate whatever tables are necessary to
> reflect whatever’s implied by the XML file structure.

There's no built-in functionality that does what you describe,
although building such a thing would be very straight-forward. There
are many application-specific decisions you'd need to make (what level
of hierarchy in the XML file corresponds to a database/schema/table,
for example, and how to handle nested "fields" and missing ones).