Re: [GENERAL] ?more?

From: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)remapcorp(dot)com>
To: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ?more?
Date: 1999-06-22 14:51:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> When I do a large select , the results all zip past the screen
> . How do I make it go page by page ? I figure this has to do
> with a term setting, my default term setting is 'linux' .
> I tried vt100 and vt220 .
>
> Perhaps this is a linux-ism ?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

look into using cursors. that way you can fetch a few records at a time
from a select.
also make sure to put it in a begin - end transaction block. i think
you can get help on declare in psql, which should tell you what you need
to know. an example of doing this would be something like:

begin;
declare cursor_name cursor for select * from test_table;
fetch 20 in cursor_name;
end;