RE: disable create server

From: Pavy Manuel <Manuel(dot)Pavy(at)cnes(dot)fr>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Khushboo Vashi <khushboo(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: disable create server
Date: 2020-03-27 12:41:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Thank you all.

I try to deploy pgadmin4 on my company but I want to manage the connections (server in pgadmin) the users can create.
So, I've found the line 84 of pgadmin/dashboard/templates/dashboard/welcome_dashboard.html to disable the link :
pgAdmin saves server list per user.
You may need to keep that in mind.

Yes I’m aware of that

It seems like a reasonable request to me - for example, to stop students adding random servers to a shared instance of pgAdmin that they're only supposed to be using for coursework.
Agreed.

My need is different : I deploy pgadmin4 in an ansible role which deploy the following (inside the [ ] ) :
User ----> [ Apache ---> pgadmin ----> pgbouncer ] -----> postgresql backend
And I have a script for adding a server for a specific user which create a pool and add the server tuple in the sqlite3 db.
The benefit is :
- I can serialize the connections (some users open many, many tabs)
- users who do not close their connections are not a problem (thanks to the pgbouncer timeout)
- I can reserve some connection to the production chain
- I can monitor the pool

Since yesterday, I’ve found a (ugly) solution : in the ./pgadmin/static/js/generated/browser_nodes.js, I deactivate the Server action.

But the pretty way should be to create a dedicated profile (in addition of administrator and user).

Manuel Pavy