Notes for SGI Irix users

From: Alessandro Baldoni <abaldoni(at)racine(dot)ra(dot)it>
To: "pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Notes for SGI Irix users
Date: 1999-06-16 12:22:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear SGI friends,
Please try NOT to compile PostgreSQL (any version) with gcc on Irix.

Due to a problem in the generation of the code of semaphors and other
structs, any PgSQL binary produced with gcc will be buggy.
More information on this subject at
http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/freeware/howto.html
Look for the section "gcc vs. cc" (I fought with gcc and PgSQL one month
before discovering this page...)
Try instead to use the native cc compiler: I compiled PgSQL 6.5
yesterday (Irix 6.3 on O2 R10000, cc 7.1, gmake 3.77) and lo'! amazing
performance increase!! I still think the large object subsystem to be
broken, but since I don't use it anymore, I didn't try it out.

Bye
Alessandro