Re: [HACKERS] I don't like LIKE

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] I don't like LIKE
Date: 1999-06-09 01:58:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If you use variables to prevent makeIndexable from triggering, you
> will find that the system will indeed take
> int4 like int4
> float4 like float4
> float8 like float8
> which I find surprising, seeing as how there are no such operators.
> Automatic anything->text conversion, apparently. I wonder whether
> this isn't being a little too free with auto conversion.

Yeah, maybe. But since there aren't regression tests for it, and no
apparent interest in adding them, it's pretty damn hard to add useful
features without damaging other things, eh?

Hmm, maybe I'd better simmer down about the docs stuff before
answering more mail ;)

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California