Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE
Date: 1999-05-26 02:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Those are attention-getting numbers, all right. I think that the two
> equal-key problems I found last night might partially explain them;
> I suspect there are more that I have not found, too. I will look into
> it some more.

Am I correct that update takes ~ 10% CPU with high disk activity?
(Unfortunately, no list archive after May 13, so I'm not able
to re-read thread).
Remember that update inserts new index tuples and most likely
index scan will see these tuples and fetch just inserted
heap tuples.

> Could you try the same queries with no indexes in place, and see what
> the time scaling is like then? That would confirm or deny the theory
> that it's an index-update problem.
>
> Question for the hackers list: are we prepared to install purely
> performance-related bug fixes at this late stage of the 6.5 beta cycle?
> Bad as the above numbers are, I hesitate to twiddle the btree code and
> risk breaking things with only a week of testing time to go...

Try to fix problems and run Edmund scripts to see are things
better than now. We can apply fixes after 6.5.

Vadim