Re: Stale references to guc.c in comments/tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stale references to guc.c in comments/tests
Date: 2023-02-27 16:59:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 24 Feb 2023, at 16:19, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Perhaps you could use "the GUC mechanisms" in these places, but it's a bit
>> longer than "guc.c". Leaving such references alone seems OK too.

> I've opted for mostly leaving them in the attached v2.

This version seems OK to me except for this bit:

* This is a straightforward one-to-one mapping, but doing it this way makes
- * guc.c independent of OpenSSL availability and version.
+ * GUC definition independent of OpenSSL availability and version.

The grammar is a bit off ("the GUC definition" would read better),
but really I think the wording was vague already and we should tighten
it up. Can we specify exactly which GUC variable(s) we're talking about?