virtual fields ( proxy execution ?? )

From: paulmoody <paulmoody(at)onaustralia(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: virtual fields ( proxy execution ?? )
Date: 1999-05-09 12:43:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
My first post to this list ... pls point me to correct list if
wrong. Now my question ...
Can I reference a field in a record where the data contained in the
field is a value returned or passed to an arbitrary executable. For
example say the arbitrary executable was a mail program then writing to
the field would send a message and reading from the field would retrieve
a message. However for all intents and purposes there would be no
difference perceived by the query orginator than if the message was
merely stored or retrieved from that field. ( ie is there a 'CGI' type
interface for postgresql like for webservers ? ).
TIA and regards.