JDBC + APPLET + AUTHENTICATION

From: "Alexander F(dot) Hartner" <alex001(at)global(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC + APPLET + AUTHENTICATION
Date: 1999-04-17 21:42:45
Lists: pgsql-general

My friend is connecting from Netscape 4+ and IE4 on WIN98 to my Linux
workstation. I can connect to the DB via Nescape on Linux, if I go via
the HTTP server (Apache). He is getting the following error in the Java
console

java.sql.SQLException: Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user
'postgres' using the default authentication type: be_recvauth:
host-based
authentication failed

I get the same error on my POSTMASTER terminal...

Please help....
Thanks
Alex