CI/CD Boilerplate for extension binaries without source code ?

From: Markur Sens <markursens(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CI/CD Boilerplate for extension binaries without source code ?
Date: 2022-01-10 10:16:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

For a gig, I’m developing a small Postgres extension, adding a few data types and some functions (some of them written in C and some of them written in plpython3).

Now, my client doesn’t want the source code to be visible and/or open even internally to other teams; They just want a bunch of yum/deb/apt packages to be distributed to servers & users internally.
Docker is also an option but I prefer to rely just on my Makefile (using PGXS) for now and produce deb/apt/yum

Can you recommend any CI/CD boilerplate that can help with this? Especially the plpython3 part can be tricky as the CREATE FUNCTION body obviously contains visible python code and is included in the extension—0.1.sql that goes under /share/postgresql/extension/ .

Most of the sophisticated extensions (Postgis, citus) I’ve looked at have either too complex CI/CD processes or ship source code with them. And the plpython part seems quite unique I think.