ssl connections to postgresql

From: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ssl connections to postgresql
Date: 2007-07-24 21:13:02
Lists: pgsql-general

PostgreSQL 8.1.9
CentOS 4.5

I have setup postgresql to use ssl and have configured and restarted the
service without error. I am connecting a web app from a remote httpd host
and I would like to verify that the connection between these two machines
is indeed employing ssl for the application in question.

I can connect from the httpd host to the postgresql host using psql and it
shows that an ssl connection with a 256 bit key is in use. However, I
would like to verify that the web app is also using ssl and I cannot seem
to find any logging setting or other mechanism that will explicitly state
that the connection made by this application is using ssl.

Is there some confidence check that I can invoke via a log setting or
something else to have the postgresql server state with certainty that the
connection between the app host and the db host is via ssl?

I subscribe to the digest version so the favour of a direct reply in
addition to any sent to this list is requested

Regards,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB(at)Harte-Lyne(dot)ca