RE: Rule recompilation

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Rule recompilation
Date: 2001-07-12 18:23:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Why is it possible in Oracle' world? -:)
>
> Because of there limited features?

And now we limit our additional advanced features -:)

> Think about a language like PL/Tcl. At the time you call a
> script for execution, you cannot even be sure that the Tcl
> bytecode compiler parsed anything, so how will you ever know
> the complete set of objects referenced from this function?
>
> And PL/pgSQL? We don't prepare all the statements into SPI
> plans at compile time. We wait until the separate branches
> are needed, so how do you know offhand here?

At the time of creation function body could be parsed and referenced
objects stored in system table (or function could be marked as dirty
and referenced objects would stored at first compilation and after
each subsequent successful after-dirtied-compilation).
Isn't it possible for PL/_ANY_L_ too?

> In the PL/pgSQL case it *might* be possible. But is it worth
> it?

Sure.

Vadim