Re: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can a insert with a returning clause be subquery ?
Date: 2008-02-03 00:12:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Feb 2, 2008 6:22 PM, chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
> I know I could do this easily with a stored proc,
> but it seems like an obvious use of the returning clause
>
> Am I missing some syntax error

Nope, you're not missing anything. When I initially wrote this for
Postgres, it didn't support all cases; including the one you're
running into. It's not extremely difficult to extend, but as there
are so few people asking for this functionality, no one has found it
important enough to warrant extension. Perhaps I'll get to it for
8.4.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301