Re: uuid type for postgres

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uuid type for postgres
Date: 2005-09-08 14:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Greg, thanks for saying it... I was thinking the same thing.

Not that it really relates to the UUID data type inclusion discussion
itself, but I think this application design and use case for UUID is an
example of using a data type for the wrong purpose. Application design-wise,
security should be handled in a true *security* way, not by obfuscating a
key (unless you're Microsoft :)). And, as Greg said, why not use a SHA1 hash
instead... it would be easier than writing a whole new type implementation.

I haven't yet gotten a chance to check out the code but plan to soon.

--
Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/