Alterations to backend/client protocol

From: Philip Shiels <philip(dot)shiels(at)jrc(dot)it>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Alterations to backend/client protocol
Date: 1999-02-23 15:18:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This question is directed at the developers of Postgres.
How open are you to changing the protocol between the backend and the client ?

I posted a question regarding finding the tables to which fields (from a query)
belong. The problem I have is that the only information I have is that the query
is a SELECT. The query is completely arbitrary and I have no idea what the
select contains (and cannot change it).
Is it possible to change the protocol between the backend/client to include the
the table names (or some unique value allowing me get to the table name) ? (for
data that has come directly from the DB and a blank table name for functions
that are not directly represented in a DB table).
Perhaps an option upon connection to use the new protocol (so not all the other
clients that currently work with the existing protocol break).

I am, depending on how much effort this takes, willing to perform the
development myself, can you measure the effort ?

Thanks
Philip
Philip Shiels E-Mail:Philip(dot)Shiels(at)jrc(dot)it JRC Ispra, Italy, TP270
GIST:http://gist.jrc.it GEM:http://gem.jrc.it
Tutorial:http://gist.jrc.it:8080