Restoring a PITR backup

From: "Just Someone" <just(dot)some(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Restoring a PITR backup
Date: 2006-04-11 15:24:34
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a process for PITR backups running nicely. I'm pretty amazed by
the smoothness of it all!

Now I'm looking at the retrieval part, and I have something I'm
looking for clarification on.

The documentation say that a recovery.conf file is needed for the
restore. My tests indicate that I can just restore the backup, copy
over the latest WAL files and launch postgres. Is that ok? Can I just
use this way?

I could create the recovery file and have it copy the files, but as
the second machine I am restoring into can always have the DB
reloaded, I wonder if it isn't easier just to copy the files. I
actually rsync my backup directory and my WAL archive directories,
into the second machine.

Bye,

Guy.

--