Inserting large queries

From: "Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder(at)mirageworks(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inserting large queries
Date: 2003-07-08 17:00:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,
I'm not quite sure if this is the proper place to post this question,
but since my problem deals with Java and PostgreSQL I figured it would be
close.

I'm trying to do a large insert ( ~15MB) and I keep running out of
memory in my Java program when I try to do an insert through the JDBC
interface. So I decided to try to create my insert in a file (using tab
delimiters) and use the COPY command. However, I noticed that I can't
specify column headers when I do it that way. That wouldn't be a problem
except that one of my columns is a primary key and needs to be
autogenerated. How do I go about inserting my data without the primary key
header in a COPY file?

Thanks,
Kevin