Re: tydedef extraction - back to the future

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tydedef extraction - back to the future
Date: 2024-05-20 21:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Attached is an attempt to thread this needle. The core is a new perl
> module that imports the current buildfarm client logic. The intention is
> that once we have this, the buildfarm client will switch to using the
> module (if found) rather than its own built-in logic. There is precedent
> for this sort of arrangement (AdjustUpgrade.pm). Accompanying the new
> module is a standalone perl script that uses the new module, and
> replaces the current shell script (thus making it more portable).

Haven't read the code in detail, but +1 for concept. A couple of
minor quibbles:

* Why not call the wrapper script "find_typedefs"? Without the "s"
it seems rather confusing --- "which typedef is this supposed to
find, exactly?"

* The header comment for sub typedefs seems to have adequate detail
about what the arguments are, but that all ought to be propagated
into the --help output for the wrapper script. Right now you
couldn't figure out how to use the wrapper without reading the
underlying module.