Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date: 2021-12-08 15:39:35
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it

I don't like the way you did this:

+ || system_log($tar, '--version') != 0);

ISTM that effectively restricts the test to only running
on machines with GNU tar, which basically removes all the
interest of it. We know what GNU tar does ... it's the
weird legacy tar versions that might teach us something.
See 57b5a9646 for a recent example of the sort of bug
this test can no longer find.