Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)usa(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PREPARE
Date: 1998-11-17 13:45:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> I'm still holding back PREPARE for ecpg until I can think of a
> good solution. The best of course would be in the backend.

So what would it take to do this in the backend? I think the places
which would need to be touched fall into areas I either know about or am
starting to look at to implement the CASE clause.

We'd need:
- a "named buffer" (or several) to hold the intermediate input
- a way to pass in parameters or substitution arguments
- a way to decide if previous parser/planner/executor
results can be reused

What else?

- Tom